FolkArt Sign Shop is Plaid Craft’s newest mesh stencil system and they asked us to try it out. This was our first time using mesh stencils and at first we were a little intimidated, but the whole process was easy and very straight forward.
In this blog post we are going to go over the materials you need, step-by-step instructions on embellishing your own sign and how to clean the stencils so you can reuse them over and over.
What is FolkArt Sign Shop?
Sign Shop is a bundle of products exclusively sold at Michaels, made specifically for embellishing detailed signs.
What are the products involved with FolkArt Sign Shop?
- Reusable mesh stencils- In various sizes and highly detailed designs.
- Acrylic Stencil Paste– Vibrant pastes with a thick smooth consistency that provide a permanent flat finish.
- Tools– Brushes and Squeegies- Designed specifically to spread the paste around to give great results.
What materials can you use FolkArt Sign Shop with?
You can use the mesh stencils on a variety of surfaces like wood, canvas, fabric, glass and more!
How to use FolkArt Sign Shop:
- Peel off the backing of the reusable stencil and lay it on your surface. The back of the stencil has a light adhesive so it is easy to reposition. Once in the perfect spot, press it down firmly. Tip: Save the backing of the stencil to use after it is washed and dry.
- Add a little of the stencil paste to a pallet or even right on the stencil.
- With the squeegee or a brush, scoop up a little bit of the paste and press it right onto the stencil. Think of it almost as spackling more than painting. Push the paste into the areas of the stencil that you want to be covered. If desired add different colors to different spots of the stencil.
- Peel off the stencil while the paste is still wet.
How to clean FolkArt Sign Shop mesh stencils:
While the paste is still wet, run the stencil under warm water. Add a little bit of soap and rub lightly. The pigment of the paste will stay on the top, but don’t worry, it will work good as new!
Let the stencil dry before placing it on the backing again. Tip: in a hurry? Use a hairdryer on low heat to help dry it quicker.
Love Classic stenciling, but always have trouble with it? Check out these easy tips for the best outcome every time!
FolkArt Sign Shop a great product line for crafters who just craft for them selves to crafters who sell their products. Because the mesh stencils are reusable, it makes it easy to replicate multiples of one craft. Which is great, because the process is addicting!
I saw your leaves stencils, can I position it to stencil one leave in different locations on project
Hi Judy! You can reuse the stencils during one session, just be careful not to get paint on the front side of the stencil. Happy crafting!
Great Post! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful blog.
Thank you so much, Colin!! Hope you’re having a great one!
Once the paste has completely dried can you seal it with an acrylic sealer? I have stenciled a sign on metal and don’t want it to come off if the item is wiped off with a damp cloth.