Resin is super popular right now, but can feel like an overwhelming activity if you’ve never tried it. Mod Podge came out with their new line of Clear High Gloss Resin and they have made everything very easy to understand and follow so you can get stunning results every time.
We’re trying out our first Mod Podge Resin project today and making glittery beach style letters. This is a great beginner DIY because it’s easy and impressive. If you’ve never worked with resin before a good tip is to keep it simple to start off. The great thing about resin is even the most simple projects come out stunning!
Mod Podge has made it easy for everyone to get pouring! They have come out with a new kit that’s perfect for a first timers, alcohol inks to help give vibrant results and a variety of silicone molds!
Five tips to follow when working with resin for the best results:
- Prep your space- Mod Podge Resin is low VOC, but always work in a well ventilated area. Resin is messy, protect your surface with a silicone mat, wax paper or parchment paper. Gather paper towels or baby wipes to have incase of any spills.
- Protect yourself- Always wear proper PPE to prevent any skin or eye irritation. Mask, eyewear and gloves (nitrile or neoprene) are a must. Wear clothes you’re not too fond of just incase of any spills…side note, what happened to smocks? Anyone still wear those?
- It’s all about precision- Mod Podge kept it really easy, all you have to do is mix equal parts resin to equal parts hardener. But it’s super important to be as precise as you can be. If your measurements are a little off your resin might not harden correctly…trust us we know from past experiences. Mod Podge comes with plastic measuring cups to keep everything as simple as possible.
- Work quickly when using resin- Time is not on your side when working with resin. You don’t have to rush, but work swiftly. We we like to really plan things out and think about all the steps before we begin. You have about 30 min to work with the resin mixture once it’s mixed together.
- Be patient when using resin- Allow the resin mixture to fully cure before removing it from the mold. You’ve already put this much time into it, don’t rush the final step!
Glittery Beach Style Letters DIY
- In two separate cups measure equal parts of resin and hardener.
- Slowly pour the resin and the hardener into another cup. Make sure to scrape the sides of the cups, remember it’s important to be precise. Mix together for 3 min.
- Separate the mixture in half and add gold glitter to one cup and blue glitter to the other cup. Lightly stir in the glitter. Tip: It’s best to stir slowly to prevent any bubbles.
- Slowly and carefully pour the gold resin mixture to the bottom of a letter. Then slowly pour the blue glitter from the top of the letter. This will create a water and sand effect. Use a toothpick to swirl and help mix the glitter if desired.
- Let dry for 24 and peel from the mold.
These letters make great keychains, magnets or decorative accents. We may not be heading to the beach anytime soon, but we do feel a little beach-ier!
Feeling summer-y? Check out our summer embroidery hoop summer wreath!